Why plain language?
Many people, including those with good literacy skills, have difficulty reading and understanding written communications about legal matters.
The law is often complex. Explaining the law in plain language can be challenging.
Our interactive online plain language workshops will help you get your message across. Learn how to create clear, engaging and easy-to-read letters, fact sheets and other pieces of legal writing.
The workshops are delivered via Zoom by Bob Milstein of Words & Beyond. Bob is a practising lawyer and plain language expert.
Who can attend?
This training is for people whose work involves the provision of legal services, information or advice in Victoria.
Priority registration is available for people who work at community legal organisations, including Community Legal Centres, VALS, Djirra and Victoria Legal Aid.
Not sure if you’re eligible? Check out our terms and conditions and email us.
Bookings for each workshop are limited to 2 people per organisation.
About the workshops
Workshops are kept deliberately small to maximise opportunities for interaction and personalised feedback. Each workshop can accommodate a maximum of 15 people.
The workshop will cover topics including:
- What is plain language and why does it matter
- The professional writing voice and associated myths
- Your documents as the voice of your brand
- Adjusting your tone for different audiences and purposes
- Word selection and sentence structure
- How to make your point effectively
- Planning, structuring and editing your document
- Verbs vs nouns
- Using the active and passive voice
- How spelling, grammar and punctuation influence readability
Participants are required to complete a preliminary exercise before the workshop, and will also asked to submit a sample of their professional writing.
How long are the workshops?
Each workshop involves 4 hours of live online training, split over a morning and an afternoon session on the same day.
The morning session runs from 10.00am to 12.00pm, and the afternoon session runs from 2.00pm to 4.00pm.
During the break, you will receive your personalised written feedback on your writing sample and preliminary exercise submission.
How much does the Workshop cost?
$120 per person.
The cost includes:
- 4 hours of live online training in a small group setting
- Detailed personalised written feedback on your preliminary exercise submission
- Detailed personalised written feedback on a writing sample
- A range of written resources that you can use to improve your documents
Victoria Law Foundation offers this training at a highly subsidised rate to support the legal profession to communicate more effectively with the public.
Upcoming Workshop Dates
All upcoming workshops are fully booked.
Want to know when more training dates are announced?
Use the form below to subscribe to our mailing list and be the first to know when 2022 workshop dates are announced.
Looking for tailored training for your organisation?
For large groups, we recommend arranging your own training session tailored to your organisation’s needs. Contact Bob Milstein of Words & Beyond to discuss the options available.