Law Week will be bigger than ever in 2017 with a record number of events to be held across Victoria, all aimed at helping people explore the law in informative, fun and entertaining ways.
From 15–21 May choose from more than 160 mainly free events. Take tours of courts; attend mock trials; experience a day in the life of an accused; participate in legal debates; get free legal advice across a wide range of areas; be entertained at concerts; join in the Walk for Justice; and more as part of the 38th annual Law Week festival.
‘Law Week is a unique opportunity for all Victorians to come together to explore the law and learn more about how it affects not only them but all other members of the Victorian community – and to have a lot of fun while doing so,’ said Joh Kirby, Executive Director of Victoria Law Foundation.
‘The popularity and impact of Law Week grows each year and for 2017 we are hosting a record number of events so there is sure to be something of interest to everyone right across Victoria.’
- Courts Open Day: visit historic and modern courts; take behind-the-scenes tours; enjoy exhibitions; attend mock trials run by Judges; experience ‘A Day in the Life of an Accused’
- Concerts: hear lawyers and professional musicians and singers entertain at a series of musical and singing performances
- Panel discussions: from the serious on topics including ‘Youth Crime, Youth Justice’, ‘Why Women Commit Crimes’ and ‘Royal Commissions and Parliamentary Inquiries relating to Indigenous Australians’ to the silly in ‘An Amusing Case’ which delves into the archives of Victoria’s most bizarre court cases
- Free general legal advice: get a free legal check-up and have your questions answered at legal clinics across Victoria
- Free targeted legal advice sessions: find out about topics including employer and employee law; small business; franchising; contracts; leasing; real estate underquoting; commercial disputes; mediation; human rights; discrimination; elder law; wills and estates; and family law
- Walk for Justice: join members of the legal profession and the wider community in the Walk for Justice in Melbourne and Geelong – all welcome
- Festival Hub at Federation Square: the place to find out what’s on during Law Week.
Law Week is organised by the Victoria Law Foundation. To see the full program of mainly free events, go to: www.lawweek.net.au
Please direct media enquiries to Publicist Mick Paskos:
M: 0412 20 10 44